Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm fucked - 27 Dec 2007 - 7 views

Current mood:weird

...Here's the charts I made. "Minimum" represents the realistic minimum I could possibly live (how I am currently living – it does not include things like health care, vacation, internet, etc.). "Maximum" is supposed to represent the maximum of how I'd like to live, but really it's far more realistic and not really a maximum at all. I did some research and came up with pre-tax salaries for the various occupations – and I think for the most part they're pretty realistic. I also adjusted loans based on occupation type (for example: if I receive funding then current debt stays constant (125,000), but if not then it increases (185,000)). My costs of living in Britain are rather approximate, but I think not at all inaccurate. Furthermore, all data assumes that my status is static and that I have no dependants. After taxes (assumed to be 35%) the only values that were positive (in red) were Funds-US Minimum (although barely) and both Physician Minimum and Maximum. If Maximum is the realistic criterion then the only solution (other than occupation switch – which is another can of worms altogether – in that I am only qualified for academic work, and the values I used for Assistant Professor salaries was generic to the field and not subject specific) then it looks like Medical School (even though it is another 125,000 – and assuming I can even get in) is the only real option....

No comments:

Post a Comment