Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bibliotheque - 11 Nov 2007 - 1 view

Current mood:flirty

I've always liked this word and all its other language varients. Anyway it has nothing to do with this post - well maybe indirectly anyway. These are the next 4 books I'm going to read:

1. The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson - it's a survey of Norse religion right as it was being replaced by Christianity.

2. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - I've always wondered, is it pronounced NAH'bokov or NaBAH'kov; I've heard both. I personally use the former.

3. The Germania (or in Latin: De Origine et situ Germanorum) by Tacitus. It was written in the first century and I believe is the first "history book" concerning Germanic peoples.

4. The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien by J.R.R. Tolkien - I can't believe that I've never gotten around to reading this before. Anyway, the version I bought is a UK 1st, booyah!

If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them. I'm on a Nordic culture kick right now - but after I finish these I think I'll probably go back to reading about English history. Actually I'd love to read some books on Viking invasions or on WW2 from the perspective of Britain and/or France.

cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment